Foreigner’s Guide to using SOCAR
Car-Sharing in Malaysia will make your life easier
Traveling around in KL can either be a smooth sailing experience (if you have a car) or real nightmare (when you don’t have a car). Which one are you?
Luckily for you, we have arrived in Malaysia to help you sort out your nightmares. In fact, even if you’re a local here, with car-sharing come into play, is there really a need to own a car?
We understand the true hassle of commuting because we are drivers too. So let’s get you behind the wheel of a SOCAR with our Foreigner’s Guide to using SOCAR.
Pursuant to Section 28 of APJ 1987, as mentioned on JPJ’s website, the holder of a foreign country’s driving license can drive in this country as long as the foreign domestic driving license is still valid, and is accompanied by a translation in English or Malay (where the license is in a language other than English or Malay), which is confirmed by the embassy of the country of origin in Malaysia, or by the authority issuing the driving license concerned.
- 21 years old and above
- possess a valid driving license that is accepted in Malaysia
- possess a letter from the embassy to validate your driver’s license and an International Driving Permit (if needed)
Here are the required steps you need to know:
- Upload a selfie of your valid passport next to your face, ensure the image is not blur and passport details is shown clearly
- Upload your valid International Driving License (or International Driving Permit)
- Valid debit card or credit card as your preferred payment method (ensure your debit/credit card is activated for e-commerce transaction)
Example1) Clear image with the passport and your face
Example2) Hidden passport, Non-English license, and Hidden face.
Driving licenses from the countries listed below are recognised and can be used for driving in Malaysia subject to regulations under the Road Transport Act 1987 (source: jpj.gov.my):
|Cote D'lvore||Cote D’Ivoire||Croatia||Czechoslovakia|
|D. Kampuchea||Dahomey||Denmark||Dominican Republic|
|Germany||Holy See||Honduras||Hong Kong|
|Panama||Papua New Guinea||Paraguay||France|
|Peru||Poland||Republic of Macedonia||Republic of Moldovaa|
|Somalia||South Africa||Southern Yemen||Sri Lanka
|Trinidad and Tobago||Tunisia||Turkmenistan||Turmenikistan|
|Ukranian Soviet Socialist (Ukraine)||Uganda||United Kingdom||United States of America
If you have a promo code that you’d like to apply, check out our guide to applying promos!
>>Check out how our Door-2-door (D2D) request works.
If your hands are full, we can even deliver the car to you!